1. White forces checkmate in two moves by exploiting the imprisonment of the black king on the back rank, namely:
2. In this position White can play 3 c!5xe6 en passant since Black's last move was . . . e7-e5. White cannot play 3 d5xc6 en passant, one reason being that the white pawn arrived on d5 after Black had played c7-c5.
3. White has an ingenious checkmate using the knight by means of 1 Sf7-g8-f U fSxgS and now the strike 2 & h6-!7 checkmate.
4. White wins by playing 1 ©a6-g6 with the deadly threat of 2 Sg6xg7 checkmate. The white queen can move right up close to the black king since the white bishop on a2 pins the f7-pawn to the black king and prevents Black's f-pawn capturing White's queen on g6.
5. The answer to this puzzle, which often annoys and frustrates inexperienced players, is that the white rooks must gain a maximum distance from the black king. Hence the solution is not to give any check with either rook, but 1 S d7-a7 &e8-d8. Now White has a choice of checkmates, either with 2 §a7-a8 or with 2 fif7-f8.
If you skipped any of the tests through inexperience of the workings of chess notation or of the pieces, now is the time to go back.
TRAINING FOR MENTAL COMBAT
Two sarnurai stand facing each other on the top of a mountain, ihcir razor-sharp blades glistening in the morning sun. Each waits with perfect concentration for the slightest opening in his opponent's guard: a nanosecond lapse of concentration invites instant death.
At its highest level, the game of chess is similar. Only the fit and I lie brave can hope to survive a Grandmaster tournament. Genius is a useful asset but, as many talented players have discovered to I heir cost, by itself it is not enough. Vast reserves of physical and mental stamina are needed, plus psychological toughness, unbreakable concentration, and the kind of confidence that flirts with arrogance. These qualities are increasingly valuable to anyone aspiring to excellence in chess, martial arts, business—and life.
Before we explore (in Part Four) the seven essential principles of Samurai strategy and their application to chess, we want to introduce a mind-body program to prepare you to be a successful mental warrior. This is new and revolutionary material for any one who wants to shine in competitive tournament chess at any level, including even Grandmasters!
Was this article helpful?